twitter




Friday, March 12, 2010

For best traction in straight line acceleration, would shocks be mounted in front or behind the axles?

'72 Nova, monoleaf, 3.90 rear gear and 2400 stall. Looking at some videos of my suspension it appears that I am losing some energy to axle wrap. So, I've decided to fabricate some type of bolt-up traction device to limit the rotation. If drag racing is my main concern, what would be the best position for shocks mounted to my new traction bars? My sketches say that in front of the axles would cause the rotational forces of the axles to compress the shocks, therefore increase downward force on the tires. But I'm wondering why GM placed one in front and one behind, or both behind in some other applications?
For best traction in straight line acceleration, would shocks be mounted in front or behind the axles?
Shocks won't do much in a drag car, but in front is the better choice. This gain is marginal and is cause by the fact that the rod takes up some of the space that is occupied by the gas on the opposite side. That is why shocks expand when you pull the safety strap off from them, the rod side has less area with which to push so it looses the game.

floral shops

No comments:

Post a Comment