twitter




Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Changing a linear egr valve?

Ok on my Saturn 99 SL1 I remove the air hose and stuff, thats easy. Then I remove the two bolts, thats easy too. What next? What do I do with the gasket? I scrape off the old one, do I need some kind of glue for the new gasket? Im basically wanting to know the steps after removing the bolts. Details please- I haven't worked much on cars before and I'd rather not mess up and ruin a brand new egr valve
Changing a linear egr valve?
You can use high temperature gasket sealant if you want to be sure it doesn't leak. But tell you the truth it shouldn't matter with a egr value. Just make sure everything is clean and bolt it back.





*add on





When i say clean i mean make sure there aren't any high spots from the old gasket. Then kind of wipe it off a little. What you want is a flat surface. you can't hurt that egr valve only thing you can hurt is the gasket(cheap to replace) and wasting your time and having to do it again.
Changing a linear egr valve?
If the old gasket in good shape use it. If damaged replace it. Clean off old put on new. No glue or nothin'. Put valve in place put in bolts, done.
Reply:Yes, remove the old gasket. The new gasket does not have to be glued - just make sure it doesn't slip out when installing the new valve.





BUT, the better question is, "WHY you are replacing your EGR valve?" If you are doing so because you are receiving an EGR Insufficient Flow code, then you are probably wasting good money on that valve. 90% of the time when you get an insufficient flow code it is NOT the valve causing the problem.





I can't tell you how many people come into my shop in a month who have gone to a local auto parts store and had them pull the codes that were causing their Check Engine Light to come on. The store pulls the insufficient flow code and then turns around and sells them an EGR valve. The customer has it put on or installs it themselves and then, of course...it doesn't work! THEN, they come see me wanting to know what went wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment